Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rejection Stinks

About the time I think I have my blogging on a role, the time gets away again and I lose a few weeks.  This blog is always on my mind though.  I have so many ideas on what to write and share.  I just have to figure out when and how I can manage to get it all done. 

In the time since I posted last, Green Envy Girls has been busy with orders and building up our inventory for The Festival on the Plaza on October 1.  We also have been applying to a couple of local craft shows.  We applied for the Indie Deluxe Craft Fair.  When I visited the show last year, I definitely saw a gap that needed Green Envy Girls bags.  I felt so confident that we would get accepted without a hitch.  It was very dissapointing when we were rejected.  That is such a yucky word.  No matter what type of rejection the word is in reference to, it never feels good.  I come from a visual arts background and they teach you to never let rejection get to you.  You have to keep trying.  It still hurts.  It definitely affects the way you look at yourself and your work.  What is it exactly that wasn't good enough?  I spent a week really questioning myself and Green Envy Girls.  Well, I'm back on track and concentrating on our next show. 

In the last few weeks, we have created a one of a kind diaper bag for a dear friend who is having a baby girl in November.

We did a zipper this time instead of the flap over the front.  We upcycled a pair of army green girl's pants for some small pockets on the front, back, sides and a pocket on the interior.  We also upcycled a pink and white infant girl's dress.  We utilized the pleats on the dress and the brass button for some added interest.  We also used our new t-shirt technique with the hotter pink for some added fun.


We're really proud of this bag and are hopeful that this little baby girl will get lots of use out of her new Green Envy Girls diaper bag.

I have been obsessed with jewelry lately.  As a visual artist, I have always been a nut for found objects, especially objects with a story to tell.  Below are some sneak peaks at some of my favorite pieces that will be featured at our next craft show.


This detail shows an antique skeleton key and an old vintage button.


This necklace features an upcycled sting of pearls and some old vintage aged buttons.


This detail shows an old rusty watch buckle integrated with our t-shirt jersey necklace and a touch of fall colored beads and brass elements.



No comments:

Post a Comment