Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Budget Shop

If I could travel and had all the time in the world, I would visit all the thrift stores, flea markets, antique malls and garage sales I could. I love the hunt of finding treasure and the high you get when you score something so wonderful especially at a great price. We recently took a family road trip to visit my husband's family in Lakin, Kansas which is in the southwest part of the state. Lakin's approximate population is 2,500 which is more than I would have ever guessed. Spending a few days in a small town with the closest larger town 30 miles away, I was forced to slow down. It was pretty miserable because I am always busy, moving and creating. Grandma would not let me clean, the meals has already been planned and shopped for and there was no where to shop or even people watch. I had been looking forward to visiting the local Budget Shop but it was only open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I had to wait until the morning we left to visit. To my surprise I found some treasures. I found several vintage, super groovy ties and lots of fabric scraps.  I'm so excited about the bag that I'm working on right now that was inspired by some fabric and a tie that were found at this Budget Shop.

What are your favorite thrift stores, antique stores or flea markets?


2 comments:

  1. I am taking my first trip to the salvage store on Saturday...any pointers????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for the potential of items. Things can be painted and cleaned and refurbished. I like to use things that were meant for one certain thing and use it for something totally different. I see drawers without a dresser and see then painted and hung on a wall for shelves. Don't be afraid to dig and get dirty. Have fun! Are you looking for anything specific?

    ReplyDelete